Australian Open draw: Serena Williams and Simona Halep on quarter-final collision course
Bianca Andreescu and Naomi Osaka have been set on a semi-finals collision course in the Australian Open draw, with Serena Williams facing a potential quarter-final against Simona Halep.
Andreescu has not played for over a year, and she has a tough Australian Open draw after finding herself with Petra Kvitova, Garbine Muguruza, Angelique Kerber, and Naomi Osaka in her quarter.
Things look even tougher for Halep, who could meet Roland Garros champion Iga Swiatek in the fourth round and Serena Williams in the quarters.
Things look much kinder for world number one Ashleigh Barty, though, although Karoline Pliskova and Belinda Bencic will fancy their chances of coming through the world number one’s section of the draw.
Meanwhile, defending champion Sofia Kenin may have to find her way past Elina Svitolina and Johanna Konta to get the chance to defend her title.
— WTA Insider (@WTA_insider) February 5, 2021
Australian Open draw – standout first round matches (Women)
Ashleigh Barty v Danka Kovinic
Sofia Kenin v Maddison Inglis
Bianca Andreescu v Miheala Buzarnescu
Naomi Osaka v Anastasia Pavlyuchenko
Laura Siegemund v Serena Williams
Iga Swiatek v Arantxa Rus
Lizette Cabrera v Simina Halep
Karolina Muchova v Jelena Ostapenko
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner