Australian Open draw: Rafael Nadal avoids both Novak Djokovic and Dominic Thiem
Novak Djokovic and Dominic Thiem are in the same half for the Australian Open draw, with Rafael Nadal and Daniil Medvedev in the other.
World number one Djokovic is going for a ninth title in Melbourne this month, but he has been handed a tough draw with Stan Wawrinka, Alexander Zverev, and Dominic Thiem potentially between him and the final.
Thiem’s quarter of the draw is much kinder, with world number 8 Diego Schwartzman the highest ranked player he can face before the semi-finals.
On the other side of the draw, Rafael Nadal has a potential quarter-final against Stefanos Tsitsipas to negotiate, although in-form Italian Matteo Berrettini may also have a big role to play.
World number four Daniil Medvedev, meanwhile, has been drawn in the sae quarter as compatriot Andrey Rublev.
Australian Open men’s singles draw pic.twitter.com/0VQ5XeZapX
— Michal Samulski (@MichalSamulski) February 5, 2021
Australian Open draw – standout first round matches (Mens)
Laslo Djere v Rafael Nadal
Novak Djokovic v Jermy Chardy
Dominic Thiem v Mikhail Kukushkin
Vasek Pospisil v Daniil Medvedev
Marin Cilic v Grigor Dimitrov
Kei Nishikori v Pablo Carreño Busta
Jannik Sinner v Denis Shapovalov
Matteo Berrettini v Kevin Anderson
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner