Auger-Aliassime ‘refocused after downing Federer,’ backs up win over idol
Despite the attention from defeating Federer, Auger-Aliassime stayed in the zone to overcome Giron and advance to the semi-finals in Halle.
The young Canadian made short work of his American opponent, defeating Giron 6-3, 6-2 in just under an hour on-court.
“I’ve been playing well in the last two weeks,” the youngster said in his post-match interview.
“I’m believing in myself a lot, dominating from my service games. As soon as I got the break today, I just feel like I loosened up a little bit.”
Auger-Aliassime reached the final of Stuttgart before Halle, before upsetting his idol Roger Federer in their first ever meeting.
“The main goal [after beating Federer] was to refocus,” Auger-Aliassime revealed. “I received a lot of messages and attention. Those kinds of things can be tricky. They can take you out of your zone, of your focus, of the tournament.”
The result over Giron means that Auger-Aliassime is into his third semi-final of 2021, and the 13th of his career so far.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner