‘The best victory of my life’ – Felix Auger-Aliassime upsets Alexander Zverev
Felix Auger-Aliassime said it is “a dream come true” to reach the quarter-finals of Wimbledon after stunning Alexander Zverev in five sets.
The 20-year-old Canadian defeated fourth seed Zverev 6-4, 7-6 (8-6), 3-6, 3-6, 6-4 in the fourth round at the All England Club.
It is the first time the world No. 19 has reached the last eight of a Grand Slam tournament – having lost in the last 16 of the Australian Open and US Open.
Auger-Aliassime had lost all three of his previous encounters with the 24-year-old German without winning a set.
“It’s a dream come true, it’s unbelievable. I’m a normal guy from Montreal, Canada and here I am – Court 1, packed, Wimbledon,” the 16th seed said in his post-match interview.
— Tennis GIFs 🎾🎥 (@tennis_gifs) July 5, 2021
“Surely the best victory of my life so far. It was extra special in front of you. With the closed roof, the sound was crazy, like nothing I’ve ever experienced before.
“It was super difficult [to keep my belief]. First, the story is that I had never beaten Alex before. He’s such a great player, I’ve always struggled against him. I never won a set.
“After two sets to love, I had belief. Then he started playing better and serving better, and things got difficult. When he came back from that break in the fifth set, I really had to dig deep.”
Auger-Aliassime will play seventh seed Matteo Berrettini in the quarter-finals.
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner