ATP Tour forced to cancel Chinese events due to coronavirus, with WTA Shenzhen Finals also off
The ATP Tour and WTA Tour will not be returning to China this year after the country’s government decided to ban all international sporting events in 2020.
Both tours had hoped to play in the region as planned this year but will now need to have a rethink.
The ATP affected events are the Shanghai Masters – the only Masters event in Asia, China Open, Chengdu Open, Zhuhai Championships.“It’s with a heavy heart that we announce ATP tournaments will not be played in China this year,” said ATP Tour Chairman Andrea Gaudenzi.
“We respect the Chinese government’s decision to do what’s best for the country in response to the unprecedented global situation.”
The WTA will be especially affected as their season-ending WTA Finals in Shenzhen is one of the events cancelled, although switching venues appears to be a possibility.
“We are extremely disappointed that our world-class events in China will not take place this year,” WTA Chief Executive Steve Simon said in a statement.
“We’ll look forward to 2021 and be back,” Simon told Reuters this week when asked about the prospect of the Finals being cancelled.
“We have other contingency plans in place for events to hopefully replace some of that business but we’ll see where those discussions continue.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner