ATP commissions review of safeguarding policies
The ATP has expressed its commitment to protecting all those involved in professional tennis, backed by a thorough review to come.
The announcement from the governing body of men’s pro tennis represents and important step forward for the organisation in tackling abuse.
There will be a “comprehensive review of safeguarding policies, in line with a commitment to ensure all adults and minors involved in professional tennis are safe and protected from abuse.
“The review has been led by the commissioning of an independent report, currently being compiled by a team of expert consultants.”
Notably, where in the past the ATP has deferred cases to legal authorities, the review is expected to “set out a number of recommendations to elevate safeguarding across the organisation and identify opportunities for more proactive involvement.”
The CEO of the ATP, Massimo Calvelli, had this to say on the matter:
“Abuse has a profound and lasting impact on millions of victims each year. We believe everyone in tennis should feel protected, fairly represented, and supported in raising concerns.
“When abusive conduct or allegations are related to any member of the tennis family it can also impact the public’s trust in our sport. We recognise that we have a responsibility to be doing more.
“This represents new ground for us, and the seriousness and complexity of these issues will require us to proceed with care.
“We have to be sure that any policies are practical and enforceable across our sport, which operates in more than 30 different legal jurisdictions and where players compete as independent contractors.
“Collaboration with the WTA, ITF and the four Grand Slams will also be important in order to serve the wider tennis community.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner