‘At some point it will go my way’, says positive Garbine Muguruza ahead of Dubai final
Garbine Muguruza is positive her superb form will lead to titles after reaching the Dubai final.
The two-time major champion converted her seventh match point to defeat Elise Mertens 6-4, 7-6 (7-5) in the semi-finals of the WTA 1000 event.
The 27-year-old Spaniard’s last title came at the Monterrey Open in 2019, though she has since reached three finals – firstly at the Australian Open last year. Muguruza has also finished as runner-up at the Yarra Valley Classic in Melbourne in February, and at the Qatar Open last week.
“Holding the champion’s trophy is everybody’s objective,” Muguruza said in her press conference after beating Mertens.
“We play hard in order to play the finals. Maybe they didn’t go my way, the recent finals I’ve played – but at some point it will.
“To be able to be there is a sign that you’re playing well, and that’s where I want to be.”
On finally closing the match out, the world No. 16 added: “I was like, man, I have to close it out here.
“I could feel if she got the second set she was gonna be more pumped for the third set – yesterday she also saved some match points and she was hanging in there.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner