Ashleigh Barty wins battle of Slam champions to reach Cincy final
Ashleigh Barty is into yet another final in 2021 after conquering a fellow multiple Major winner to book her spot in the WTA 1000 final.
The world number one continued her stunning form in Cincinnati to overcome three-time Slam champion Angelique Kerber, 6-2, 7-5.
Both women displayed great poise on-court, including in this controlled exchange towards the end of the match.
— wta (@WTA) August 21, 2021
Barty has not yet dropped a set in Ohio and is now into her sixth tournament final of 2021. The Aussie is currently four from five in her previous title matches, having only lost to Aryna Sabalenka at the Madrid Open.
It is the best result for Barty in Cincinnati to date, her previous best being the semi-finals in 2019. She has now also reached the final of five of the nine different WTA 1000 events.
The Wimbledon champion will face either her opponent from the All England Club championship match in Karolina Pliskova, or surprise package Jil Teichmann.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner