Andy Murray reveals the new hobby that kept him fit during lockdown
Andy Murray has revealed he took to road cycling to stay fit during the coronavirus lockdown in the UK.
Britain has been in some form of lockdown for best part of a year now, which was especially problematic for athletes attempting to maintain, or build, their fitness levels.
Murray, though, came up with a new hobby to keep himself in shape, and it’s something he’d like to continue after his tennis career.
“For the first two months of lockdown all of my training was done at home,” Andy Murray told the Gentleman’s Journal.
“I was doing a lot of cardio work and, for the first time in my life, I did some road biking.
“To begin with, I got a bike just to be able to go out and exercise. But I got quite into it. I really enjoyed it, actually.
“I actually think, when I finish playing tennis, cycling is something I want to do more of.
“I live 20 minutes south of Wimbledon in Surrey. So I cycled around Box Hill, where they did some of the Olympic road racing.
“I had two or three routes I was doing consistently. And, because I’m competitive, I was seeing if I could beat my times each week, to see if I was getting fitter.
“I enjoyed going up the hills — so tough, but I really loved it.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner