‘I need to improve’ – Andy Murray assesses loss to Matteo Berrettini
Andy Murray felt his movement was “quite good in both matches” he played at Queen’s Club but said his tennis against Matteo Berrettini was “not very good”.
The five-time Queen’s champion was beaten 6-3, 6-3 by top seed and world No. 9 Berrettini in the second round of the ATP 500 tournament.
Murray defeated Benoit Paire 6-3, 6-2 in the opening round – his first grass court singles match since 2018.
“Yeah, I mean, I think obviously I need to improve. I actually felt my movement was actually quite good for both of the matches,” the 34-year-old said in his post-match press conference.
“And all of the numbers and stuff, well, certainly from the first match we got, you know, in terms of the speeds I was moving at on the court – we were happy with that as a team.
— cinch Championships (@QueensTennis) June 17, 2021
“Obviously I haven’t seen that for today’s match yet, but, I think I made some good moves on the court. My tennis today was not very good.
“Yeah, that’s the thing that I’ll need to improve the most. Rather than I think the actual movement around the court. I just didn’t play that well.
“Obviously against the top players you’re not going to get loads of opportunities on the grass, you know, especially when someone is serving like that. You need to be right on it. I wasn’t today.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner