Andy Murray ‘can make second week’ believes former world No. 4
A respected analyst and former top pro likes what he’s seen from Andy Murray after the first round and is backing the Brit to do well at Wimbledon.
Former British No. 1 Tim Henman thinks that Murray showed good signs in his first round match against Nikoloz Basilashvili and looking ahead to the latter stages.
“I was very impressed and it’s really all to do with his movement,” Henman told the Evening Standard.
“When he played at Queen’s, he was moving okay, but it’s really when a player has to move wide and is pushed wide, it’s how quickly they get into the corners and out of the corners.
“I felt he looked so much sharper when he played Basilashvili. That’s what put him in such a good position to be two sets and 5-0 up. It was brilliant to watch.”
Despite only playing five tour level matches in 2021 prior to Wimbledon, Andy Murray pulled through in four sets against world No. 28 Basilashvili in his first Wimbledon singles win since 2017.
“It’s realistic to think he can get to the second week,” Henman added. “But it’s also important to manage expectations because of how little tennis he’s played,” he said.
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner