Ambitious ATP pro: ‘I’m trying to reach world No. 1!’
With an impressive 2021 season so far, this constant presence on the ATP tour is aiming for the very summit of the sport.
British no. 2 Cameron Norrie has had a strong 2021 season to date, and has reached a career-high ranking of no. 41, 16 spots behind British no. 1 Dan Evans.
“I’m not too worried about that,” Norrie told the Evening Standard of the national ranking race. “I’m trying to get world No. 1, not just British No.1!
“But getting to a career high and the results show that things are paying off. I just want to keep pushing for more.”
The Brit boasts two tournament finals this year in Estoril and Lyon, plus a 25-15 win-loss record, a number of wins bettered only by Stefanos Tsitsipas (39-9), Andrey Rublev (29-9) and Novak Djokovic (27-3) on the ATP tour.
“In previous years, I’d have a couple of good weeks and drop off,” the Brit added. “But [this year] I’ve given myself a lot of opportunities and been consistent.
“Plus, I’m serving well and I’m looking to dictate with my forehand.”
Norrie will be looking to translate his good form from the clay to the grass of Queen’s and on to Wimbledon.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner