Alexander Zverev rethinks Davis Cup boycott: ‘He really wants to play for Germany’
Alexander Zverev has done a U-turn on his boycott of the Davis Cup, according to his brother Mischa.
Mischa Zverev has taken over he handling of much of Alexander’s management following his split from TEAM8 this year.
And, apparently quite close to the top of the agenda is returning the US Open finalist to one of tennis’ premier team events.
“Germany is very important to him, also as a country. Sascha really wants to play the ATP and Davis Cup for Germany,” Mischa Zverev told Eurosport.
“In the end you come from Germany anyway, you come back home and that is of course very, very important for an athlete and especially for Sascha.”
Alexander Zverev has been one of the most outspoken critics of the Davis Cup since it was rebranded and changed to a week-long finals format in 2019.
Instead of playing in the inaugural event, Zverev instead opted to travel to Central and South America with Roger Federer on an exhibition tour.
“I don’t think the format is Davis Cup anymore,” Zverev said at the time.
“I hope people realize that Davis Cup is more than just money and all that like they are offering us now.
“It’s history, and it’s tennis history. Yeah, it’s more than just what’s on the table for the players now.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner