‘Alcaraz already at an amazing level,’ Nadal claims before possible duel
Rafael Nadal has attested to Carlos Alcaraz’s ability on the court and hopes that their potential meeting will be a well-contested one.
Rafael Nadal has affirmed that Carlos Alcaraz is a player with a strong future on the tour ahead of their respective starts at the Madrid Masters.
“Carlos [Alcaraz] is an amazing player,” Nadal stated in a video interview for ATPTour.com. “Today he already has an amazing level of tennis. Probably he will be one of the best players in the world soon.”
Carlos Alcaraz made his Grand Slam main draw debut at the Australian Open this year, winning his first round match. The 17-year-old went on to reach the semi-finals at the Andalucia Open in Marbella, defeating Nikola Milojevic, Feliciano Lopez (22 years his senior) and Casper Ruud before falling to fellow Spaniard Jaume Munar.
“It will be a big challenge for me and hopefully for him too (chuckling),” Nadal continued. “So let’s see. I don’t know, I [will] just focus and try to be ready, to have the right preparation and to be playing well for the beginning of the tournament so then let’s see.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner