‘A delay to Roland Garros of a few days is under discussion,’ says French government
A delay to Roland Garros of ‘a few days’ is currently being discussed between tournament organisers and the French government.
France is currently wrestling with a third wave of COVID-19, and last week announced fresh lockdown measures.
While elite sport is not part of those new restrictions, they would severely affect the French Open in terms of the size of crowds and the severity of bio-secure bubbles for players.
There has been suggestions that they may put it back to much later in the year, as they did successfully in 2020, but at the moment it seems a much less drastic solution is being considered.
“Discussions are underway with the organisers on the methods used, in particular for the reception of the public,” a spokeswoman for the Mistry for Sport told AFP.
“A delay of a few days is under discussion,” she added.
Previously, the Minister for Sport Roxana Maracineanu, said: “We are in discussion with them (the French Tennis Federation, which organises Roland Garros) to see if we should change the date to coincide with a possible resumption of all sports and major events.
“Today, although high-level sport has been preserved, we try to limit the risks of clusters, of spreading the virus within professional sports.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner