‘No event compares to the Olympics’, believes Alexander Zverev
Alexander Zverev said he is “excited to compete for Germany, but also for medals” on his Olympics debut at the 2020 Tokyo Games.
The world number five – a winner of 15 ATP singles titles – thinks “no other sporting event compares to the Olympics”.
The German is planning to compete in singles, doubles with Jan-Lennard Struff, and mixed doubles – with his partner yet to be confirmed.
Zverev – the fourth seed – has landed in the top half of the men’s singles draw, with world number one Novak Djokovic a potential semi-final opponent.
“I’m very looking forward to it. Obviously with COVID it is going to be different, but I’m playing all three disciplines, I am excited to compete for Germany, but also compete for medals,” the 24-year-old told the ITF.
“It’s the biggest sporting event in the world. I think no other sporting event compares to the Olympics. You compete for your country, you compete for your team, you see all the other nations, all the other athletes that are there.
“You see legends from all different kinds of sports compete for the same thing. It’s very special. I think even though tennis is not an original Olympics sport, I think everybody who plays tennis is very much looking forward to it.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner