Zverev marches on to round three with stunning performance
No. 4 seed Alexander Zverev has continued his fine start to Wimbledon 2021 by defeating Tennys Sandgren in straight sets to progress to round three.
The German defeated Sandgren 7-5, 6-2, 6-3 in one hour and 45 minutes on Court Two at The All England Club.
Zverev’s best run at Wimbledon came in 2017 when he reached the fourth round aged just 20. With the early exit of Stefanos Tsitsipas and withdrawal of Rafael Nadal, the 24-year-old will be confident of going all the way in 2021.
— Wimbledon (@Wimbledon) July 1, 2021
The first 10 games went with serve, neither player created one break point. Zverev stepped it up at the business end of set one, crucially breaking for a 6-5 lead. The German’s serve was firing and he served the first set out in style.
Set two was a lot more one-sided as the No. 4 seed really stamped his authority on the match. A couple of breaks, matched with aces and winners saw Zverev cruise to a two sets lead. He lost just five points on serve through the opening couple of sets.
Sandgren entertained the crowd and played out some great points in the third set, although Zverev seized initiative when breaking for 2-1. The American gave everything to turn the match in his favour, but was outclassed by a stunning Zverev performance.
Zverev will face either Steve Johnson or Taylor Fritz in the third round.
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner