‘You should be embarrassed,’ Daniil Medvedev hits out at reporter after ‘cheating’ claims
Daniil Medvedev was left fuming after a reporter asked a question about his country’s ban from Tokyo 2020 following his third round win.
The World No 2 defeated Italian star Fabio Fognini in three sets 6-2 3-6 6-2 to book a quarter-final meeting with Pablo Carreno Busta.
Although Medvedev remains a favourite for a medal, the 25-year-old is not competing for Russia after they were found guilty of state-sponsored doping and banned from competing in athletics since 2015.
Instead, Medvedev, along with 334 other Russian athletes, are competing for the Russian Olympic Committee, but Russia’s flag and national anthem have been withdrawn.
Following his latest win, Medvedev reacted angrily when asked if Russian athletes carry a stigma of cheaters at the games.
“First time in my life I’m not gonna answer a question. You should be embarrassed of yourself,” said the furious Russian.
“I think you should wire him from the Olympics, I don’t wanna see him again.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner