Wozniacki comes of age with first WTA title
We’ve been banging on about Caroline Wozniacki for a while now. Wozniacki is one of a bunch of teenage stars who will be hanging around at the top of the womens world rankings for years to come.
Caroline Wozniacki showcased her talent by beating world No.4 Svetlana Kuznetsova in Eastbourne this summer and then pushed Jelena Jankovic to three sets at Wimbledon a couple of weeks later.
The young Dane passed another personal milestone on Sunday when she won her first WTA Tour singles title by hammering Vera Dushevina 6-0, 6-1 in the final of the Nordea Nordic Light Open in Stockholm.
Incredibly, it was her second victory of the day after thrashing top seed and defending champion Agnieszka Radwanska 6-4, 6-1 in the semis before lunch.
“I’m very happy I’ve won my first title!” said Caroline Wozniacki, who is the first Dane to take home a WTA Tour singles trophy.
“It’s always tough to play two matches on the same day, but Vera had to do it as well. At the start I had her under pressure and I think that frustrated her.
She played better in the second set and began putting pressure on me instead. She had break points at 2-all there and I think getting out of that was the key to the match.”
Wozniacki climbs three places to No.23 in todays world rankings.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner