‘Worst possible way!’ – Rafael Nadal admits he suffered major scare in Paris
Rafael Nadal says he started his historic win over Feliciano Lopez ‘in the worst possible way’ before finding a way to win.
It was Nadal’s 1000th career win, a milestone that only three other men – Roger Federer, Jimmy Connors, and Ivan Lendl – have ever reached.
It was far from an easy one, though with Lopez taking the first set. Nadal, however, was able to fight back to win 4-6, 7-6 (7-5), 6-4.
“I started the match the worst way possible, especially against a big server like Feli,” Rafael Nadal said after the match.
“After that I played under a lot of pressure the rest of the match, but I found a way.
“This victory is one that I am very proud of. The personal satisfaction sometimes is bigger when you win these kinds of matches than if you go on court and win 6-3, 6-3.”
Nadal, who is searching for his first Paris Masters title, will now face Australian Jordan Thompson after he upset 15th seed Borna Coric in the second round.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner