‘World number one record is my crowning achievement,’ says Novak Djokovic
Novak Djokovic has described his historic world number one record as the ‘crown of all his achievements.’
Djokovic has this week surpassed Roger Federer to become the player to have spent most weeks as ATP number one.
It sees the completion of one of Djokovic’s two main career goals – the other being to win more Grand Slam titles than anyone – and he is understandably proud of it.
“It’s kind of like a crown of all the achievements that I’ve had in the last 15 or 15-plus years of [my] professional tennis career,” Djokovic told CNN.
The Serbian star caught the tennis bug when he was just seven years old, although no one could have predicted where that would have taken him.
Djokovic was also asked what he would tell his seven-year-old self if he could, answering: “Dreams are achievable, everything is possible.
“I was seven years old and I was constructing this improvised Wimbledon trophy and, and looking in my own mirror in the room and telling myself I’m the best tennis player in the world and I’m the Wimbledon Champion.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner