World number one Novak Djokovic named on entry list for Belgrade 2
Novak Djokovic is on the entry list for Belgrade 2 next month, although there appears a reasonable chance he will pull out.
ATP Tour tennis returned to Belgrade for the first time in nine years last week for the Serbia Open, with Djokovic headlining the event in his home country.
He was unable to win it, losing a marathon semi-final to Aslan Karatsev, but the tournament was still a big success.
With Roland Garros delayed for a week, Belgrade applied to fill the gap in the schedule, with the Novak Tennis Centre again providing the facilities.
Djokovic is on the entry list for that, but he has rarely played a tournament the week before a Grand Slam.
— Michal Samulski (@MichalSamulski) April 27, 2021
During the Serbian Open, Djokovic was asked about the chances of him playing Belgrade 2, but he didn’t want to commit either way.
“I usually don’t play tournament a before the Slams, but considering that it is held in Belgrade, it draws me more to play,” Djokovic told the press.
“I’ll hopefully play [here] in four or five weeks again, that’s the plan. Let’s see if that’s going to happen. But Roland Garros is the goal, that’s where I want to play my best.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner