World No 2 Simona Halep tests positive for COVID-19
Wimbledon Champion Simona Halep has confirmed that she has tested positive for Coronavirus.
Publishing the news via her social media, the Romanian confirmed that she is self-isolating at home and ‘recovering well’ from mild symptoms of the virus.
“Hi everyone, I wanted to let you know that I tested positive for COVID-19. I am self-isolating at home and am recovering well from mild symptoms. I feel good… we will get through this together.”
Hi everyone, I wanted to let you know that I tested positive for COVID-19. I am self-isolating at home and am recovering well from mild symptoms. I feel good… we will get through this together 🤗💪
— Simona Halep (@Simona_Halep) October 31, 2020
Simona Halep is the latest tennis star to test positive for COVID-19, with World No 1 Novak Djokovic and Grigor Dimitrov amongst those who have also received positive tests.
Halep last featured at Roland Garros where she was beaten in the fourth round by eventual champion Iga Swiatek earlier this month.
Prior to Roland Garros, the Romanian made the decision to skip the US Open due to safety concerns regarding the Coronavirus.
“After weighing up all the factors involved and with the exceptional circumstances in which we are living, I have decided that I will not travel to New York to play the U.S. Open,” the reigning Wimbledon champion announced.
Ahead of the French Open, Halep admitted once again that she was worried about the situation after several players tested positive.
“I heard [about the positive test results] before the match and, of course, it worries me,” Halep told reporters in Rome.
Halep will not play another competitive match this year after the WTA Finals in Shenzhen was among seven events across China to be cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner