‘Winning an Olympic gold has always been a dream of mine’, says Naomi Osaka
World No. 2 Naomi Osaka said she has “allowed herself to dream” of winning a gold medal at the Olympic Games in Tokyo this summer.
It will be a home Olympics for the Japanese star – who is the defending US Open and Australian Open champion.
“I have allowed myself to dream that dream of winning the gold medal. But it won’t be easy,” Osaka told the ITF.
“And I tend to put my goals realistically and also short-term, and it’s not even July yet! So, I’m going to chill.
“For me, it’s always been a dream of mine. As a kid you wake up and watch your favourite athletes play.
“My most outstanding Olympic memory is just watching (Usain) Bolt run. He’s my favourite athlete, me and my whole family – my dad loves his running, so we would just, like, watch him.
“When I think of the Olympics, what comes to mind is of course the Opening Ceremony, seeing all the people being so happy. I think what I’m most looking forward to being in Tokyo during the Olympics is the atmosphere.
“It’s definitely going to be one-of-a-kind, and it’s something that’s going to be etched into my memory for ever. I’m really looking forward to playing in the Olympics.
“Representing Japan means a lot to me. It’s where I was born, it’s my mom’s home country, and it definitely going to be exciting. It’s one of my life goals.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner