Wimbledon set for late ticket rush with 100,000 set to go on sale
Up to 100,000 tickets could be available to the general public for Wimbledon 2021 after the All England Club confirmed their intention to ramp up the capacity for the tournament.
The All England Lawn Tennis Club (AELTC) had initially said that this year’s event, returning after a hiatus in 2020, would be played in front of a minimum of 25% of capacity.
Though in conjunction with the easing of Covid-19 lockdown measures, officials are now confident they increase numbers inside from next month’s start date.
The tournament is set to start the week after June 21 when Prime Minister Boris Johnson sets his sights on an end to the restrictions.
However, the announcement of a possible 100,000 tickets available for general sale is not expected until close to that date, meaning there will be a late rush for tickets on a first-come, first-served basis.
In a statement, a spokesperson for Wimbledon said: “While the health and safety of all our guests remains our highest priority, further to the Stage 3 relaxation of restrictions and early positive indications from the Event Research Programme, we are confident that we will be able to increase our ticketing capacities for The Championships this year beyond the minimum 25% position we set out last month.
“For this reason, we are continuing to leave confirming our ticketing capacities until as late as possible, with all tickets to be made available via an online sale, which we anticipate commencing in mid-June.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner