Sebastian Korda proud of “big achievement” at Wimbledon
Unseeded American Sebastian Korda defeated 22nd seed Dan Evans in four sets to reach the fourth round of Wimbledon 2021.
The world No. 50 prevailed 6-3, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4 in the third round on his first appearance on Centre Court at Wimbledon.
The 20-year-old has made it to the last 16 at the All England Club on his first attempt – and matched his fourth round showing at last year’s French Open.
“I just stayed calm in the biggest moments as much as I could. I tried to stay relaxed and keep playing attacking tennis. That’s what I do and I’m really proud of myself for that today,” Korda said in his post-match interview.
“[On reaching the second week] A big achievement, a year ago I was 220 in the world. And now I’m here in the fourth round of Wimbledon. It’s incredible. I have my family to thank, my coaches and everybody around me.”
Korda earned the only break of the opening set to go up 5-3, before holding from 0-30 down to serve it out.
World No. 26 Evans responded well as he took the only break of the second set to go up 4-2 en route to leveling the contest.
The American then broke to go up 4-2 in a pivotal third set, but the Brit hit straight back in a lengthy seventh game after converting a fourth break point.
Korda, though, broke again in the following game – before serving out to take a 2-1 lead in sets.
Both players saved early break points in the fourth set, before Evans broke to go up 4-2. The 20-year-old, however, won four consecutive games to steal the set and claim the win.
Korda will play 25th seed Karen Khachanov in the fourth round.
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner