‘Wimbledon in 2017 gives me belief I can do well,’ admits Andy Murray
Andy Murray says his Wimbledon efforts in 2017 gives him confidence that he can perform well ahead of his upcoming campaign.
Four years ago, the former World No 1 was contemplating retirement after limping through his match with Sam Querrey – a quarter-final he eventually lost in five sets.
“I was feeling horrendous during that tournament,” Andy Murray told STV.
“I was in so much pain playing there. When you speak to my team about that Wimbledon, we laugh about it today. Because I don’t know how I did that. I would have beaten Querrey in that match as well, but with each minute that passed, I was feeling worse.
“That was one of my better achievements – to make the quarters that year and get close to the semis. Probably one of the reasons why I still feel like I can do well.”
“I’m in good shape. I was in less pain at Queen’s last week than I was in 2017. I think I moved relatively well so that’s a positive.”
The two-time Wimbledon champion will begin his campaign against 24th seed Nikoloz Basilashvili before a second-round meeting against a qualifier.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner