‘I don’t care about the people’ – Benoit Paire after Wimbledon fan berates him
Benoit Paire has responded after a spectator shouted he was “wasting everybody’s time” during his Wimbledon defeat to Diego Schwartzman.
The world No. 46 was beaten 6-3, 6-4, 6-0 by ninth seed Schwartzman in a first round match that lasted just 95 minutes.
The Frenchman was given a code violation for lack of effort by umpire Mohamad Lahyani in the third set – during which he appeared to tank points regularly.
During the 19-minute third set, a disgruntled fan told Paire: “You’re wasting everybody’s time”.
— Tennis GIFs 🎾🎥 (@tennis_gifs) June 29, 2021
“I do not care about the people. I play for me and that is it. I think it is a bit ridiculous. I find it difficult to accept this decision,” the 32-year-old said in a post-match interview.
“I try my best when I am in the bubble, but for me playing tennis like this is impossible. So I try my best. It is tough for me.”
It was Paire’s seventh straight loss stretching back to the Madrid Masters last month. He has a 2-17 record in 2021.
World No. 9 Schwartzman will next play British wildcard Liam Broady in the second round.
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner