Wimbledon finalist ruled out of Tokyo Olympics through injury
2021 Wimbledon finalist Matteo Berrettini is the latest name to fall from the entry list for the Olympics tennis event after a thigh injury ruled him out.
Lots of players have been withdrawing from Tokyo Olympics in recent weeks as tight restrictions, lack of crowds and fatigue and injury worries continue to affect decisions.
Berrettini wore a protective strapping on his left thigh in his Wimbledon final match against Novak Djokovic last Sunday.
“I am extremely disappointed to announce my withdrawal from the Tokyo Olympic Games.”
“I had an MRI scan on the thigh injury yesterday I sustained during Wimbledon and was informed I will not be able to compete for a couple of weeks.” said Berrettini in a statement on Instagram.
The Italian recently reached his first Grand Slam final at Wimbledon before losing to Djokovic in four sets, and was looking to continue his strong run of form off the back of Wimbledon 2021 and winning Queens.
“Representing Italy is the biggest honour for me so it is devastating to miss the Olympics. I wish the entire Italian team the best of luck anyway. I will be supporting you all the way.”
Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal have already withdrawn from Tokyo Olympics. Andy Murray will go in search of a third Olympic gold medal.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner