‘We’ll make a decision tomorrow’ – Craig Tiley provides Novak Djokovic injury update
Craig Tiley has paid tribute to Novak Djokovic after he was able to fight through his Australian Open injury to beat Taylor Fritz.
Djokovic suffered what appeared to be a serious abdominal injury whilst two sets up, with Fritz able to take advantage to level the match and force a decider.
The world number one later said he strongly suspected he had torn a muscle, yet he was able to somehow win the decider to give himself a chance of carrying on in the tournament.
“We’ll see him,” Tennis Australia chief Tiley said. “He’s resilient, he’s tough.
“He’ll wake up today and he’ll figure out what it is and he’ll go and get the appropriate treatment.
“The way he was, those two sets, I was pretty surprised [he was able to win the match.]
“But I’ve seen him play enough times here, this is his court, he gets comfortable on it and he just picks his game up and up and he’s that good.
“So his health is going to be important and we’ll make a decision later on today on when he plays tomorrow.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner