‘We motivate each other’, says Felix Auger-Aliassime on rivalry between young ATP stars
Felix Auger-Aliassime has spoken of the developing rivalries between the next generation of ATP stars, saying they “motivate each other”.
The 20-year-old Canadian beat 19-year-old Italian Lorenzo Musetti in the second round of the Barcelona Open ATP 500 event, before beating 22-year-old compatriot Denis Shapovalov in the third round today.
“I think I’m in the middle of that group where I have some really good players now a little bit older than me, some younger than me,” Auger-Aliassime said in an interview after beating Musetti.
“But of course I think we motivate each other, we’re pushing each other, not directly, but in a way. I think there’s very high competition and that is what tennis is about.
“I feel like I was in his [Musetti’s] place not so long ago, just two years ago. He’s a great player, he’s already [in the] top 100. He’s had some great victories last year and also this year in Acapulco.
These guys can do it all ✨
— Tennis TV (@TennisTV) April 21, 2021
“I’ve been seeing him quite a lot and it was actually the first time I’ve played someone younger than me, so time goes fast.
“It was good for me to compete with a guy like this, who I’m going to play many more times in the future.
“But I think he has a great game, a great touch and great tennis IQ. I think he will for sure be good in the future.”
(Photo credit Ray Giubilo)
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner