‘We don’t have the funds to get him’ – Acapulco chief explains Rafael Nadal absence
Acapulco could not afford to attract Rafael Nadal to their event this year, the tournament director has confirmed.
Nadal has been a regular at the Mexican event recently, playing in three of the last four editions.
This year he is absent from the entry list, though, and he was even before he withdrew from Rotterdam with a back injury.
And that, according to tournament director Raul Zurutuza, is because they could not afford the reported $500,000 to $1million appearance fee for the Spanish star due to the loss of ticket revenue.
“The relationship with Carlos Costa (Nadal’s agent) is super good and things were very open, the reality is that there are no funds to pay [Nadal],” Zurutuza told Excelsior.
“Our budget for this year is super-mega limited, so we decided to invest that money in bringing who we could bring,” he commented.
In Nadal’s absence, the field will be led by Alexander Zverev, Stefanos Tsitsipas, and Diego Schwartzman.
“We already had a contract signed with Zverev and it was more expensive to cancel it than to pay him,” Zurutuza explained.
“And the other players, the four or five that we invited with an appearance fee have put the batteries… their financial demands are substantially lower than what they normally do.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner