Watson wins in Monterrey
Watson came from a set down to beat Kirsten Flipkens 3-6 6-2 6-3 to win her third WTA title at the Abierto Monterrey Afirme in Mexico.
The 23-year-old, who beat Caroline Wozniacki and Caroline Garcia en route to the final, had to save two break points as she served for the match.
“It was really tough,” said Watson, whose mum Michelle travelled with her and acted as her coach in Mexico. “I was so nervous coming into the match because I’d never beaten Kirsten before. She’s a great player and really makes you work.
“Ithought Kirsten was pretty flawless in the first set and I was getting frustrated with myself. I just had to stay calm and try my best. I never looked past the next point.”
Watson climbed 31 places to No.53 in the world rankings following her victory, while British No.3 Naomi Broady climbed to a career-high No.76 after reaching the semi-finals in Kuala Lumpur.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner