WATCH: Tsitsipas drops racket but beats Zverev to reach French Open final
Stefanos Tsitsipas reached his first Grand Slam final by defeating Alexander Zverev in a French Open semi-final that went the distance.
The world No. 5 survived a spirited resurgence from his German opponent, triumphing 6-3, 6-3, 4-6, 4-6, 6-3 in front of an expectant Court Philippe Chatrier crowd.
The Greek only need two break point chances in the first set, taking the second on Zverev’s first service game to go 2-0 up. Tsitsipas then did not face a break point as he closed it out in 37 minutes.
Tsitsipas then fell behind 3-0 in the second set, but won six straight games – breaking Zverev three times – to complete a stunning turnaround and claim a two sets to love lead.
The young superstar even won a point despite dropping his racket after serving, as everything seemed to be going the Greek’s way.
— Roland-Garros (@rolandgarros) June 11, 2021
Zverev was not down and out though, as he broke early to lead 2-1, holding each time after to claim the third set 6-4.
The German continued strongly, behind his serve in particular, at one point winning 18 consecutive points on serve across the end and beginning of the third and fourth sets, and going on to take the match to a decider.
But Tsitsipas hung tough, denying Zverev and taking the final set 6-3 to reach his first ever Grand Slam final, becoming the first Greek to achieve such a feat.
He will face either Rafael Nadal or Novak Djokovic for a chance to lift the trophy as 2021 French Open champion.
- Keep up to date with the breaking French Open News
- Follow the biggest matches with our French Open LIVE Commentary
- Miss nothing with Tennishead’s French Open LIVE SCORES service
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- French Open Men’s Singles draw updated daily
- French Open Women’s Singles draw updated daily
- Today’s French Open order of play
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner