WATCH: Lorenzo Musetti displays outrageous flair to win at French Open
Italian star Lorenzo Musetti pulled out his box of tricks to battle past Marco Cecchinato and reach the second week at the French Open.
The 19-year-old came through a five set thriller against his compatriot in three hours and 9 minutes 3-6 6-4 6-3 3-6 6-3 to book a potential meeting with World No 1 Novak Djokovic in the fourth round.
However, it was not only Musetti’s all-round performance that caught the eye, but also two outrageous flair shots which showed just how good the Italian really is.
The first trick shot was a simply stunning behind-the-back volley to break his opponent after Cecchinato delivered a subtle underarm serve.
𝗦𝗵𝗼𝘁 𝗼𝗳 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗼𝘂𝗿𝗻𝗮𝗺𝗲𝗻𝘁?! 👀
— Live Tennis (@livetennis) June 5, 2021
However, the Italian teenager wasn’t finished there. For all the world it looked as though Cecchinato had produced a perfectly measured lob, before Musetti replied as only Musetti can.
— Roland-Garros (@rolandgarros) June 5, 2021
Musetti will be buoyed by a great display against the former Roland Garros semi-finalist. The 19-year-old recorded a 72% first serve percentage, winning 65% of first serve points.
The youngster also managed to save seven of the 10 break points he saved, making him incredibly tough to beat.
- Keep up to date with the breaking French Open News
- Follow the biggest matches with our French Open LIVE Commentary
- Miss nothing with Tennishead’s Roland Garros LIVE SCORES service
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- French Open Men’s Singles draw updated daily
- French Open Women’s Singles draw updated daily
- Today’s French Open order of play
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner