WATCH: Djokovic down but not out as he survives huge French Open scare
Novak Djokovic prevented a seismic upset at the 2021 French Open as he recovered from two sets down to beat Lorenzo Musetti in the fourth round.
The world No. 1 prevailed while leading 6-7 (7-9), 6-7 (2-7), 6-1, 6-0, 4-0 when Musetti retired through injury.
Djokovic lost a lengthy opening set having been up a break and 4-1 in a tiebreak – with the Italian converting his third set point.
The Serbian then came from a break down to take the second set to a tiebreak – in which he was comfortably beaten by the inspired 19-year-old.
Unreal from Novak Djokovic!
He looks to be down and out after falling on the clay, but still manages to win the point 😲 pic.twitter.com/MauOVf3aHH
— Eurosport UK (@Eurosport_UK) June 7, 2021
The 34-year-old, though, lost just a single game and 14 points thereafter. He broke twice and dropped only three points on serve to take the third set.
Djokovic then stormed through the fourth set in less than 20 minutes – winning 19 straight points in a sequence carrying over from the end of the third set.
The top seed continued his surge to lead 4-0 in the fifth set – when Musetti decided to retire due to injury.
The 2016 Roland Garros winner will face another Italian – ninth seed Matteo Berrettini – in the quarter-finals.
- Keep up to date with the breaking French Open News
- Follow the biggest matches with our French Open LIVE Commentary
- Miss nothing with Tennishead’s French Open LIVE SCORES service
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- French Open Men’s Singles draw updated daily
- French Open Women’s Singles draw updated daily
- Today’s French Open order of play
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner