WATCH: Danil Medvedev hits stunning winner en route to French Open last 8
Danil Medvedev booked his place in the last 8 of French Open for the first time in his career after a straight sets victory against Chilean Christian Garin.
The second seed prevailed 6-2, 6-1, 7-5 against the world No. 22 in just over two hours.
Medvedev reached the 2021 Australian Open before losing to Novak Djokovic in straight sets, however he will face Stefanos Tsitsipas on Tuesday in his first French Open quarter-final.
— Roland-Garros (@rolandgarros) June 6, 2021
The Russian won the two opening sets in just over an hour 6-2 6-1, playing some outstanding tennis.
Garin recovered to go a break up in the third set, however Medvedev responded to level the scores at 5-5.
Medvedev then broke after hitting two superb forehand winners, and served the match out to book his place in the last eight. The Russian hit 14 aces and 46 winners en route to his victory, great numbers that will give him confidence moving forward in the tournament.
The 25-year-old was yet to win a match at Roland Garros before this year, but has impressed so far with his performances.
He will face Stefanos Tsitsipas in the last eight in Paris.
- Keep up to date with the breaking French Open News
- Follow the biggest matches with our French Open LIVE Commentary
- Miss nothing with Tennishead’s French Open LIVE SCORES service
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- French Open Men’s Singles draw updated daily
- French Open Women’s Singles draw updated daily
- Today’s French Open order of play
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner