WATCH: Angelique Kerber advances despite stunning Coco Gauff point
Three-time Grand Slam champion Angelique Kerber defeated Coco Gauff in straight sets to reach the quarter-finals of Wimbledon 2021.
The 2018 Wimbledon champion triumphed 6-4, 6-4 over the 17-year-old American star in the fourth round on Centre Court at the All England Club.
“Coco is such a great, talented young player. She has such a great future in front of her. So, I’m really sure that she will have a great career,” Kerber said in an on-court interview.
“She will play here so many times again and maybe one time she will get the title because I like how she is playing, how she is professional. She has a great future in front of her.
“I’m really looking forward to play tomorrow my next match because this is such a magic place for me, and I will try to do my best tomorrow.”
“Just stunning. Look at the faces, that’s how good it was!”
This is great from Coco Gauff.
— BBC Sport (@BBCSport) July 5, 2021
The match started with five consecutive breaks of serve – starting with Kerber taking the 20th seed’s opening service game.
Gauff twice hit back, before the German backed up her third break to hold for 4-2. The following five games saw no break points, as the 33-year-old closed the set out.
Both players saved a break point in the opening two games of the second set, before Kerber struck on Gauff’s serve to go up 2-1.
World No. 28 Kerber crucially saved two break points to hold for 5-3, before serving out for an impressive victory.
She will face 19th seed Karolina Muchova in the last eight.
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner