Victoria Azarenka hails Naomi Osaka after US Open defeat: ‘I hope we can meet in more finals’
Victoria Azarenka says she wants to face Naomi Osaka in more finals after she lost out to the Japanese star at the US Open.
Azarenka was back in her first US Open final for seven years, and she appeared to be firmly in control of the match when she was a set and a break up.
However, Osaka was too powerful to be dominated, and she roared back playing some brilliant tennis to seal a 1-6, 6-3, 6-3 win.
“I thought the third time was the charm but I guess I’m going to have to try again,” an emotional Azarenka said during the trophy ceremony.
“Congratulations to Naomi. I hope we can meet in some more finals again.”
“I want to thank all the people who came at such difficult times and made this tournament happen.
“I want to thank my team for believing in me. It’s been a long road coming here.”
Osaka became the first women to lose the first set in the US Open final yet still win it since Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario in 1994.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner