‘Very accurate and means a lot’ – young star responds to Andy Murray praise
A rising ATP star has described Andy Murray as “a great guy to look up to” and said it “means a lot” that the three-time major winner applauded his game.
Jenson Brooksby believes former world number one Murray was “very accurate” in his description of his playing style and strengths.
The 34-year-old Brit said the American is the type of player he “loves to watch” during his Citi Open win over John Millman, while hailing his “tennis IQ, variety and defence”.
Murray also compared the 20-year-old’s slice and backhand volley to that of former world number 18 Florian Mayer.
— Andy Murray (@andy_murray) August 6, 2021
“I think that’s very accurate. Obviously that’s great words to hear from Andy. I mean, he’s been one of the best in the sport and a great guy to look up to. That means a lot,” Brooksby said in a press conference.
“That’s great words coming from him. I think he is right with that, because he plays a similar style, as well. It’s funny, I always laugh at that, it is Florian Mayer that had the two-handed slice and volley on the guys’ side. Yeah, that’s funny.”
World number 130 Brooksby has reached the semi-finals of the ATP 500 tournament in Washington – where he will face Jannik Sinner today.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner