Verdasco through in New Haven
The Pilot Penn International began in earnest on Monday with wins for Fernando Verdasco and Alize Cornet.
Click here for Tennishead’s betting tips
The New Haven event features an ATP mens and WTA womens draw and boasts a strong field with less than a week to go until the US Open.
Top seed in the mens event, Spains Fernando Verdasco, began in style with a 6-4, 6-4 second round victory over Israels Dudi Sela on Monday.
Three American men made it into the second round Robby Ginepri, Wayne Odesnik and wild card John Isner.
Ginepri got past Luis Horna from Peru 7-6, 6-2, while Odesnik put out Frenchman Sebastien Grosjean 7-5, 6-4.
Isner produced an impressive display to beat Russian Igor Kunitsyn 6-4, 6-4. The 6ft 9 American faces another giant, second-seeded Croat Ivo Karlovic, for a place in the third round on Tuesday.
Click here for all of Monday’s men’s results
Swiss Patty Schnyder was among the winners in the first round of the womens event. The fifth seed fought her way past American Jill Craybas 6-4, 7-6.
Seventh seed Alize Cornet had to work hard in her first round match but was too hot for Czech Nicole Vaidisova, the young Frenchwoman coming through 6-3, 7-6.
Another teenage superstar of the womens tour, Slovak Dominika Cibulkova, was forced to retire with heat exhaustion after a set.
Click here for all of Monday’s women’s results
Elsewhere, the WTA Tour tier 4 Forest Hills Tennis Classic begins in New York on Tuesday.
The Czech Republics Petra Cetkovska will get proceedings under way when she takes on German Martina Muller in the opening match on Stadium court.
Official Pilot Penn tournament website
Official Forest Hills tournament website
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner