Venus Williams joins Serena as the next star to withdraw from the US Open
Two-time US Open champion Venus Williams has joined her sister Serena in becoming the next star to announce her withdrawal from the upcoming US Open.
The 41-year-old, who possesses a 3-8 record on tour so far this year and finds herself 147th in the WTA rankings, pulled out of the event due to a persistent leg injury.
Venus’ announcement comes less than 24 hours after her younger sister and 23-time Grand Slam champion Serena withdrew from the year’s final Grand Slam event due to a torn hamstring.
“It’s super, super, super disappointing,” Williams said, in a video which she posted to her Twitter and Instagram accounts.
“I’m having some issues with my leg all this summer, and just couldn’t work through it. I tried my best here in Chicago [at the WTA 250 Chicago Women’s Open], but I just was unable to figure out the equation.
“There’s been so many times where I’ve been able to figure it out, even not in the best of my health, but this time, I just couldn’t make any miracles work.”
Venus Williams made her breakthrough at the US Open in 1997, racing to the final as an unseeded 17-year-old before winning the title three years later. The seven time Major winner then defended her crown the following year.
“I’m going to miss the Open,” said the former world number one. “It’s my favourite Slam. I’ve had so many amazing memories there, and I can’t wait to get back out on the court, whenever that is. I’ll work with my team to make it as soon as I can.”
Not the best news everyone. I am joining @serenawilliams @RafaelNadal and @rogerfederer on the injured list. It’s still going to be a great US Open & many thanks to the @usta for the wild card. I was so looking forward to it, but it was not meant to be this year. I will be back! pic.twitter.com/s0PRgdSSx2
— Venus Williams (@Venuseswilliams) August 25, 2021
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner