Williams sisters return to seal third doubles title
Venus and Serena Williams put the rivalry of their singles final to beat Lisa Raymond and Sam Stosur and win the women’s doubles.
Just hours after Venus beat Serena Williams to take her fifth Wimbledon title, the No.11 seeds broke in the third and seventh games to take the first set 6-2.
Raymond and Stosur saved break points early in the second set, but two successive double faults by Stosur allowed the sisters to break for a 3-2 lead.
They broke again before Venus served out to love to seal a 6-2 6-2.
They broke again at the next opportunity and never looked back, wrapping up their third Wimbledon doubles title 6-2 6-2 in just 59 minutes.
Elsewhere, Daniel Nestor and Nenad Zimonjic won their first Grand Slam title together, beating Jonas Bjorkman and Kevin Ullyett in the men’s doubles.
Serving proved decisive, and the No.2 seeds only conceded one break point in the entire match. Their opponents, particularly Bjorkman, struggled with their serve and fell to a 7-6(10) 6-7(3) 6-3 6-2 victory.
For Bjorkman, who is retiring this year, it was his 129th match at Wimbledon – 95 of which had ended in victories.
Zimonjic took part in the final despite breaking a bone in his left wrist during Thursday’s semi-final victory over Leander Paes and Lukas Dlouhy.
The first two sets were thrilling deadlocks, both settled on tie-breaks, before the contest turned in favour of Nestor and Zimonjic in the third. Bjorkman and Ullyett had their only chance to break when 3-5 down but failed to take it – and their opponents took the set.
Having broken for a 4-2 lead in the fourth, Zimonjic played three superb shots in the final game – one a mid-air smash from behind the baseline – to break Ullyett and clinch victory in a little over two and a half hours.
The victory completes a full set of Grand Slam titles for Nestor, while it is a first Wimbledon title for partner Zimonjic.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner