‘Unforgettable moments’ – Novak Djokovic wins thrilling French Open final
World No. 1 Novak Djokovic recovered from two sets to defeat Stefanos Tsitsipas and win the 2021 French Open title.
The Serb triumphed 6-7, 2-6, 6-3, 6-2, 6-4 against the Greek in the final match in a battle that lasted over four hours to win his 19th Major singles title.
The 34-year-old became the first male player in the Open Era to win all four Grand Slams more than once.
“The atmosphere was amazing a few days ago against Rafa and today against Stefanos. Unforgettable matches, unforgettable moments for me, for my career, for my life. I’ll definitely remember this last 48 hours for the rest of my life.” Djokovic said.
— Tennis TV (@TennisTV) June 13, 2021
After failing to serve out the opening set, Djokovic lost an opening set tie-break 8-6.
World No. 5 Tsitsipas continued to produce some stunning tennis, firing backhand and forehand winners from all angles..
Djokovic broke early in the third set to shift momentum and the 19-time Grand Slam champion never looked back.
The Serb took control of the fourth set and completely dominated, taking it 6-2 to force a deciding set.
Tsitsipas battled hard to win his maiden Grand Slam, but Djokovic broke for 2-1 and went onto take the fifth set 6-4.
Djokovic is one Grand Slam behind Federer (20) and Nadal (20). He will head to Wimbledon as a defending champion, the tournament starts on Monday 28th June.
- Keep up to date with the breaking French Open News
- Follow the biggest matches with our French Open LIVE Commentary
- Miss nothing with Tennishead’s French Open LIVE SCORES service
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- French Open Men’s Singles draw updated daily
- French Open Women’s Singles draw updated daily
- Today’s French Open order of play
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner