Twin titles for Bryan Brothers
Bob and Mike Bryan are the US Open men’s doubles champions for a second time after winning a dramatic second-set tiebreak to seal the title.
The Bryan brothers beat Lukas Dlouhy and mixed doubles champion Leander Paes 7-6(5) 7-6(10) to claim their sixth Grand Slam title.
“Lukas is an unbelievable player, he is going to win Grand Slams” – Mike Bryan
The Bryan brothers clawed back an early break in the opening set to snatch it in a tiebreak. And after again trading breaks in the second set the Bryans settled the match in a 22-point breaker.
The Bryan brothers have also triumphed at Wimbledon, Roland Garros and the Australian Open twice, and this latest victory will restore them to the world’s No.1 doubles pair.
“This is unreal – words can’t describe it,” said Bob. “This feels as good as any win we have ever won. We love playing in New York.”
Mike Bryan admitted that “just a few points” separated the two pairs. “I have a lot of respect for Leander, Leander is a legend. And Lukas is an unbelievable player, he is going to win Grand Slams coming up.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner