‘I think it will be a fascinating experience’ – Stefanos Tsitsipas on Olympic ‘dream’
Stefanos Tsitsipas has spoken of it being an “honour” to represent his country and said “it’s every Greek athlete’s dream” to play at the Olympics.
The world number four is set to compete in his first Olympic Games when the delayed Tokyo 2020 Games begin next week.
The Greek will play in singles, as well as in mixed doubles alongside women’s world No. 19 Maria Sakkari – a semi-finalist at last month’s French Open.
Tsitsipas is playing at the Hamburg Open ATP 500 event this week – and won his first match yesterday against Dominik Koepfer.
“Representing my country is the biggest honour that I could have had, and playing at the Olympics – it’s every Greek athlete’s dream,” the 22-year-old told ATP Tennis TV.
“For me Tokyo, I think it will be a fascinating experience. Obviously I would love to give my best in each single match and put out a good show, and maybe even impress myself at some point.”
Tsitsipas – a runner-up last year in Hamburg – added on his dream to win the title – “I want to be on that board [of Hamburg Open winners] too.
“I know that I’m capable of being on that board, its a matter of time, it’s a matter of dedication and work. It’s a dream.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner