‘I don’t think French Open expectations are higher,’ says Felix Auger-Aliassime
Canadian star Felix Auger-Aliassime does not believe expectations of him have changed ahead of the French Open after working with Toni Nadal.
Ahead of his French Open first-round match against Andreas Seppi, the World No 21 was under no illusion that recruiting Nadal would bring immediate results and success.
“I don’t think the expectations are higher since I’ve been working with Toni… All my life I’ve had very high expectations for myself. I don’t think Toni adds more to that,” Auger-Aliassime told Roland Garros.
“What I’m trying to do, which is be top 10 and eventually win Grand Slams, there’s nothing higher than that. Adding somebody who has done it before just brings I think more calmness and confidence than pressure really.
“That’s how I see it, I don’t feel like it comes with higher expectations. If people think I should add him to my team and win Roland-Garros right away that’s up to them but that’s not really how I see it.”
The Canadian star sees working with Nadal as a long-term plan, helping him to achieve his aspirations of becoming a Major champion.
“I think he can help me reach my goals, my potential. That’s what we’re working on every day,” Auger-Aliassime said of Toni Nadal.
“The preparation is not that different or far from what I’m used to doing before tournaments or before Grand Slams.
“Of course we try to work with very high commitment, intensity and focus. That’s what I try to do and then every day try to do a little bit better to feel good when the first day of the tournament comes. But I think we have a lot of good work to do to reach further success.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner