‘To play Rafa Nadal is a dream come true’ – Carlos Alcaraz ahead of Madrid Open showdown
Carlos Alcaraz said it is “a dream come true” to be able to face his idol Rafael Nadal in the second round of the Madrid Open after dismantling Adrian Mannarino.
The 17-year-old wildcard beat Mannarino 6-4, 6-0 in the first round of the ATP Masters 1000 event on Monday. Alcaraz broke the Frenchman four times and did not face a break point in earning his first Masters 1000 win.
“I’m really, really happy. This is a special win for me, here in Spain. Here in La Caja Magica. (To) win here a match in Masters 1000, for me is amazing,” the Spaniard said in a post-match on-court interview.
“I started the match a little bit nervous. I tried to be aggressive and tried to enjoy playing here in front of the big crowd.
— Tennis TV (@TennisTV) May 3, 2021
“For me, (to) play against Rafa is a dream come true. Since I was a kid, I wished to play against Rafa and now I will be able to play here in the centre court of La Caja Magica in Madrid. For me, it’s a really special match.”
The match against five-time Madrid winner Nadal is likely to be played on Wednesday – Alcaraz’ 18th birthday.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner