‘To be here my dreams have come true’, says Diego Schwartzman
World No 9 Diego Schwartzman will make his debut at the ATP Finals in London, making him the ninth Argentinian to feature in the prestigious event.
Diego Schwartzman, who has impressed on the clay-courts beating Rafael Nadal in Rome and reaching the semi-finals of Roland Garros, believes he has what it takes to compete with the elite at the ATP Finals.
“Every year I have been improving,” Schwartzman said. “How focused I am in the big matches, how confident I am.
“I know when I play my best against the big guys on tour I have opportunities. In Rome against Rafa and at Roland Garros, I took the opportunities against the best guys on tour. To have those opportunities I must be 100 per cent.”
The Argentine number one also described how he has been watching the ATP Tour Finals ever since he was a kid.
“To be here my dreams have come true. I had a lot of goals when I was young watching this tournament on the TV at home. I always wanted to be here and here I am in London.
“When I was young and started tennis, many Argentinians were playing here so for Argentina this tournament has been really special.”
The 28-year-old is still chasing his first title of the season and finds himself in the very tough ‘Tokyo 1970’ group, alongside five-time winner Novak Djokovic, Paris Masters champion Daniil Medvedev and 2018 ATP Finals winner Alexander Zverev.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner