‘Thrilled with the way I’m playing’, says Stefanos Tsitsipas after beating Sonego in Miami
No. 2 seed Stefanos Tsitsipas advanced to the quarter-finals of the 2021 Miami Open after producing an impressive performance to beat Lorenzo Sonego.
The 22-year-old Greek broke twice to sweep through the first set 6-2 in 32 minutes. The world No. 5 then took the second set 7-2 on a tiebreak – after neither player faced a break point – to seal the win.
Tsitsipas hit 20 winners to just 14 unforced errors and was particularly strong on serve – winning a superb 89% of points behind his first serve as he did not face a break point.
“I’m playing well, feeling well, and enjoying these moments on the court,” Tsitsipas said in an on-court interview after beating the Italian world No. 34.
— Tennis TV (@TennisTV) March 31, 2021
“I’m thrilled to be playing the way I’m playing. I’m having a great impact with my game so far this week, so it’s important for me to capitalise (on) that.
“Each single opponent has been a separate challenge, and I’ve been managing to find solutions against them. It’s important for me to have matches like this.
“I was expecting him to raise his level. When you’re one set to love, you feel like you have nothing to lose.
“He definitely improved, so he was a much more difficult opponent in the second set than he was in the first.”
Tsitsipas will face 26th seed Hubert Hurkacz in the quarter-finals of the Masters 1000 event.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner